Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Responsibility...

One of the things that is most frustrating to me as a parent is the lack of self-generated initiative in my children... I mean really, that shoe you just tripped over?  Yes, that one- PICK IT UP!  It really struck me a couple of weeks ago when I was frantically trying to get the house in some semblance of order before our camping trip just how far down the wrong path I'd gone. 

My dh was in the livingroom working on some things for our trip as I came in and began picking up the boys' legos and various other toys laying all over the floor.  "Why are you the one picking up their things?" he asked ever so gently, yet with a slight air of reproof.  "Because it's just easier and much faster if I do it myself.  Because if I tell them to come and do it, they're going to freak out... so I'm just going to do it to get it done!"  

Seriously??!?!?!?!  I think I was the victim of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!  I would never say something so ridiculous in all my life!  I've never been the person to take the easy road, or to go out of my way to make sure I am comfortable- in fact, I tend to go out of my way to keep things just a little bit difficult.  I'd become my own worst nightmare!  Something MUST be done about this treachery!  Here's where we are currently:

Every year we pray through and come up w/ annual goals for our boys (and me too) and just how we're going to shepherd them in those areas.  Guess where we're starting?   Responsibility!  I broke it down into four areas I want the boys to work on (and me too):

1.  Responsbility to our Lord (which covers pretty much everything else)
2.  Responsibility to our Family (chores)
3.  Responsibility to their Work (school)
4  Responsibility to their Self (hygiene & possessions)

I'm still in the phase of seeking out Scripture applicable (there are a lot of Scriptures on diligence v. laziness) to the situation and our point/reward system.  (Another area I said I'd never explore, but the Lord rewards us for our obedience, so we're going with that.)  My prayer through it all is that new and good habits will be formed in my children (and me too), that their hearts and minds would be touched and inspired...

No comments:

Post a Comment