Monday, October 24, 2011

The Future...

This morning was one of those blessed mornings when my husband was home (he works late tonight), so Jacob and I had a date.  So we went out to breakfast and then to the Y to play a little together.  While we were there, a lady came up to me and asked if I homeschool;  of course I said yes, and she went on to share that she homeschooled her children until the mid-highschool years when she felt she couldn't do it any longer.  She shared that she loved the relationship she had with her children during those homeschooling years... But what she said next pained me greatly... she said that once her children (who are now grown with children of their own) went to traditional school, their relationship changed dramatically, she's never been able to gain it back, and how much she missed it.  I see this woman quite often around the Y and typically she's with her daughter, so I know there's a relationship there, but apparently it's just not the same type of closeness as they once shared. 

As our children grow from boys to men I know our relationship will change and grow as we do, but I always want the closeness my husband and I share with our boys to remain the same.  I've often thought about what we'll do in the highschool years, if we'll put them in a traditional school (whether public or private) so they can benefit from the music and/or sports programs, mainly;  or if we'll keep them home their entire schooling career.  While that remains to be seen, one thing I know for sure is that I will always remember that conversation and take her testimony into consideration when the time comes...

No comments:

Post a Comment