Friday, December 2, 2011

Words, Words, Words...

Today is one of "those" days... one of those days when my attitude isn't what it should be, and my words aren't either.  One of those days (weeks) when my children have been bickering over the slightest thing- even seeming to try to find things to bicker over.  One of those days when I'm being put to the test- and failing miserably.  I often wonder if anyone else has "those" types of days.  As a homeschooling mother, I often find myself feeling a bit alone on this frontier, even though we're plugged in to the area's homeschooling group.  Perhaps part of my 'aloneness' is found because I'm ashamed to admit to my homeschooling friends my ongoing struggle with my words toward those I love the most.  (I could get on my soapbox about perfectionism and pride, but I won't.)  :)    Anyway, I ended up taking a break and pulling out a homeschool devotional book that I have, and of course, there was just the topic for me:  words, words, words.   One of my recent memory verses from Ephesians was the verse for that devotional topic:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may give grace to those who hear it.  ~Ephesians 4:29

After apologizing to my children and asking for their forgiveness, I was able to steal away for a few moments in prayer with the Lord, seeking His forgiveness for the sin in my heart, and asking Him to set a guard against my lips that my words would bring Him glory.

I'm finding that on these days when we are all a bit 'off' that I need to seek Him all the more diligently, slow my pace a LOT and focus on what's really important in life:  seeking and glorifying God, being the helpmeet my husband needs me to be (and who God designed me to be), and building a strong relationship with my children.  I definitely do NOT want to be the foolish woman from Proverbs, strive to be the wise.

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."  Proverbs 14:1

Blessings

W


No comments:

Post a Comment